...

Château de Barnay

Saint-Martin-de-Lixy - Castle

  • Crédits photo : SMPCB Crédits photo : SMPCB
  • Crédits photo : SMPCB Crédits photo : SMPCB
  • Crédits photo : SMPCB
  • Crédits photo : SMPCB

The fief of Barnay is very old, since we know that in 1066, the widow of one of its lords, Richilde, became a nun at the Cluniac priory of Marcigny. The present castle was built in the 15th century by its owners at the time: the lords of Jarnosse, south of Charlieu. As in Grandvaux (Varennes-sous-Dun), we find a large keep, flanked by round towers (including a staircase tower). The crenellated wall, with its neo-gothic door in brace, closing the interior courtyard, is from the 19th century.